Social And Spiritual Apathy
I know my blog is titled “Between Sundays”, and I often talk about or reflect on the previous weeks message and look forward to the coming weeks message. That has been a valuable time for me as I prepare, but sometimes God lays things on my heart that I feel I need to share. Today is one of those days.
I am deeply troubled recently by the state of our nation. It is highlighted in a campaign year where no one seems to have any idea on the direction we should go. It is mirrored in the church as it seems to me Christians have decided that their faith should no longer affect the nations course as a whole and have simply bowed out of being a part of the conversation about where or nation is going. This social and spiritual apathy has been growing for many years, and it will be the death of our nation as we know it if we do not change our course. That change begins with Jesus followers deciding to end the spiritual apathy in their own lives. Others, and the nation, will follow. God will make sure of that if we are faithful to Him. There is a passage that I think speaks about this…
Ephesians 5:14-20 (NIV)
14 for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: “Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” 15 Be very careful, then, how you live–not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Here are some highlights for revival…
- We need to WAKE UP. The church has been asleep for several generations. Look where it has led our nation. The Bible says that without revelation the people cast off restraint. Church, WE ARE THE REVELATION for this nation. When the church stopped being the moral compass for America, America began to “cast off restraint”. Anything goes. We need to WAKE UP and begin to bask in the light of Christ. We need to be the visionaries who chart our nations course.
- Be careful how you live. We need to take HOLINESS seriously. If we talk about Jesus but live like the world our message has NO POWER. God will not honor that hypocrisy. Yes, we all make mistakes. Don’t believe Satan’s lie that since you are not perfect you cannot strive to do better. If we are serious about right living, our families and neighbors will take our message seriously.
- Make the most of EVERY opportunity. It is the churches job to invite people into a relationship with Jesus. YOU ARE THE CHURCH. Sometime we as Christians think it is the pastors job. We think the programs of the church should show people Jesus. NOPE…It’s YOU. You are the church and you need to be serious about inviting people to know Jesus. It only sticks when it’s personal. It’s only personal if a PERSON asks.
- Understand the Lord’s will. This seems hard. It’s not. God’s will is changed lives. God’s will is EVERYONE knowing and serving Jesus. God’s will is JOY and PEACE and ETERNITY. But since God is God He gets to decide HOW all that happens. He has decided that Jesus is the only way. That’s the message, plain and simple.
- Sing songs. We need to worship! Plain and simple. When the world is falling apart around you (AND IT IS), you need to be the person who is singing and joyful in the midst of it. We can be that person because we know the one who is in charge. People will be drawn to that person. People will want what you have. You will be glorifying God and pointing to Him in the most effective way. Sing to him NO MATTER the circumstance, live for Him no matter the outcome, because He is Lord!
It’s time we take back our nation. Our schools, our neighborhoods, our government…They can all reflect God’s presence and influence. If they don’t they won’t be around long. God’s calling us to be the difference. Are you in? Ponder that and decide who you want to stand up for.
See you Sunday,